Thanks to Jordan for sending this in.
1. They provide a service otherwise not available. Examples: Meals on Wheels and Aware
2. They Help the less well off society. Examples: Voluntary organisations such as Trocaire and St Vincent De Paul.
3. They Provide a good example to young people. Examples: Club 4u & St Wolstans Homework Club.
4. They provide greater community spirit, especially organisations like Neighbourhood Watch & Tidy Towns.
5. Individuals benefit as they are more committed to their local committee. Examples of these local communities are the Irish Wheelchair Association and the GAA.